What is cosmetic dentistry, and how can it improve my smile’s appearance?
Cosmetic dentistry includes several dental treatments aimed at enhancing your smile’s appearance. Our Smiles dentist may recommend cosmetic dentistry if you are looking for a way to improve the appearance of flaws and imperfections in your smile, such as gapped teeth, irregularly shaped teeth, stained or darkened teeth, chipped or broken teeth, misaligned teeth, fractured or cracked teeth, and worn-down teeth.
What causes bad breath, and how can I prevent it?
Halitosis (bad breath) may be caused by a variety of factors. The following are common causes of bad breath and how to address these issues:
- Certain foods – Foods such as garlic and onions can cause bad breath. Avoiding these foods can help you keep your breath fresh.
- Poor oral hygiene – Be certain to brush and floss every day. Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential to preventing bad breath.
- Untreated tooth decay and periodontal disease – If these oral conditions go untreated, they can contribute to bad breath. Visiting the dentist on a regular basis can help make sure that your smile stays healthy.
- Medical conditions – Various diseases and medical problems can cause bad breath, including diabetes, chronic sinus infections, kidney and liver problems, and dry mouth. We recommend that you see your general physician or another medical professional for the care you need. Once the condition has been treated, your breath should improve.
Please feel free to ask our dentist in Spokane, Washington, about more ways to keep your breath fresh.
How often should I go to the dentist?
In general, we recommend that you visit our office twice each year for a routine dental cleaning and exam. These regular visits are important for keeping your smile healthy. Based on your individual needs, however, our team may suggest more frequent visits to help you maintain good oral health.
If my teeth look fine and do not hurt, do I still need to go to the dentist?
Yes, it is still essential that you visit our office on a regular basis. Even if you have not noticed any damage or pain, your smile may be affected by conditions that are not readily apparent. Dr. Michelle Metcalf will check for such problems to ensure that we provide any treatment you need before the condition becomes more serious and painful. We will also provide a professional dental cleaning during your regular appointment, which can help to prevent tooth decay and periodontal disease.
How do I know if I have gum disease?
Gum disease, more formally called periodontal disease, is a degenerative condition that affects the gum tissues. Common signs of periodontal disease include:
- Loose teeth
- Painful chewing
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Gums that bleed easily
- Receding gums, or teeth that look longer than normal
- Tender, swollen gums
- Pus around the teeth and gums
- A change in the spacing between teeth or in how the teeth fit together
- Gums that appear redder than usual
If you notice any of these symptoms, we encourage you to contact our team today to schedule an appointment at Smiles Dental.
Is it normal for my gums to bleed when I brush and floss?
No, healthy gums should not normally bleed when you floss or brush. Gums that bleed easily may be a sign of periodontal disease, which requires professional attention. If you notice that your gums often bleed when you brush or floss, please contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michelle Metcalf.
How can I improve the appearance of stained and discolored teeth?
Lightening your teeth can noticeably enhance your smile’s beauty and can give you a self-esteem boost. We are pleased to provide professional teeth whitening at our office to help you achieve a brighter, whiter smile. To learn more, call us today!
We invite you to contact us today at Smiles Dental if you have any other questions about dental care.